Did you know that the more physical exercise your child gets, ed the more his brain develops? Studies have shown that exercise actually helps further develop the areas of the brain that affect learning and memory. Another good reason to limit time sitting around watching television or computer games. Exercise also continues to help brain development in adults, this site so be sure to join in the fun.
For preschoolers, there are many different types of exercises you can encourage:
- Play hopping games, hopping on one foot, then on both feet.
- Teach your child to swing.
- March to music, inside or out.
- Walk up and down steps. Walk a straight line.
- Run. Have races in your backyard.
- Practice playing with a ball. Bounce, throw, kick and catch the ball.
- Play on climbing equipment at the playground. Go to a rock climbing center.
- Dig holes in the sand or dirt.
- Learn how to swim.
- Ride a bike.
- Practice balance. Walk on the curb.
- Do a crawling game.
- Play Hot Potato
- Dance to music.
There are so many fun types of exercise. Try to vary them and incorporate some form of exercise on a daily basis.
Sharon Pierce McCullough / ZiggityZoom