We are surrounded by math. Numbers are everywhere and there are opportunities all day long to help your preschooler learn the basic concept of math. Simple things like counting objects or pointing out numbers on buildings or packages are enough to get started. Try to incorporate some of these easy activities into your child’s life and he will have a good grasp of numbers and addition very quickly.
Things you can do with your Child:
- Look for Numbers on things in your home and when you are out.
- Count objects. Count everything around.
- Teach your child to count from 1 to 20.
- Practice counting backwards from 10 to 1.
- Play cards, counting and noting the numbers. Play games counting spaces.
- Make patterns using coins, rocks etc. Ex. 2 dimes, 3 nickels, 2 dimes, 3 nickels, etc.
- Clap hands, using a simple pattern.
- Compare Bigger and Smaller items.
- Announce times of the day, like 3:00 is snack time.
All of these activities will help prepare your child for entering kindergarten. Math helps kids with simple problem solving. Make it fun!